“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”

- Thucydides

Monday, May 24, 2010

Sad Sunday

It was the first thing I heard on Sunday morning, May 23, 2010. It took me the entire day to process those words. At the end of the day, I couldn't force those words into being some sort of nightmare. Those "words" were that (my friend and ex-teammate) Jose Lima had died on Sunday morning. Jose and I played together for the Houston Astros for two seasons (2000-01), and no matter in what stadium we met up as opponents, there were always smiles and hugs as if we hadn't seen each other in decades. I will always remember how, no matter the issue, nothing negative could happen to him without his having an immediate, positive spin on which to put it. If I know Jose, he would have this to say regarding his own death: "Hey, I get to meet God now." The Bible tells us that God loves when we sing and dance; it certainly would make sense why Jose was taken by God at such a young age. I'm sure that all of us in the baseball fraternity raised our glasses last night to "Lima Time." I will truly miss you, Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment